Moses coming down Mt Sinai – a children’s craft activity for Shavuot
Posted 2 June, 2011on:
This project combines colouring, cutting and sticking – the tried and true favourites of small children everywhere!
What I used:
– piece of light card for the background. You can print out text like mine using this file: Shavuot craft backing sheet
– paper in a contrasting colour for Mt Sinai (or you could just draw a mountain shape on your background)
– white paper for people and something to colour it with (instructions below)
– some cotton wool for clouds
– flower confetti (but you could draw flowers, use stickers etc – whatever your craft stash will allow!) to decorate Mt Sinai
To make the figures, cut a strip of paper (mine was 1/4 the height of an A4 page) and colour it in.
Then fold in half (coloured side in) and then in thirds.
Now draw the outline of a person so that their arms reach the sides, and cut around it. (Some parental help will be required for this step.)
Unfold and you will have 6 people “holding hands”. I used 5 to represent the Israelites waiting at the base of Mt Sinai, and cut off one to become Moses. He gets to hold the traditional stone tablets containing the 10 commandments. I used a picture I found on the internet but you could draw your own.
Now grab your gluestick and assemble your picture – Mt Sinai with clouds at the top, decked with flowers and Moses bringing down the tablets of the law to the Israelites assembled at the bottom. Have fun and chag sameach!