Appliqued menorah challah cover
Posted 11 November, 2012on:
This is part one of the story of two chanukiot (chanukah menorahs). I really wanted to sew a wall hanging of a chanukiah, so I designed a lovely nine-branched menorah on graph paper and scaled it up.
As will become apparent later, this design turned out to be the wrong size for my planned wall hanging – but I still liked it. So I decided to make it into something smaller: a challah cover. Yes I know they usually have a Shabbat theme, for obvious reasons, but I have plans for a number of festival themed covers so we can change them over as we move through the year.
In my haste to get the project underway, I cut out the menorah from a lovely teal blue/gold fabric which, I discoved later that day, clashed with every other piece of fabric I had intended to cut the candles from. I was about to throw it out and start again when my husband said “that would look great with red”.
I’m not sure that anyone else has ever used red chanukah candles, but when we lived in the UK a decade ago, nowhere near a Judaica shop and well before it became easy to buy anything and everything over the internet, we used to buy candles that were perfectly sized for our chanukiah from our local Asian food shop. They were very good quality, and they were red, a symbol of good fortune in their country of origin. In the end, the whole project had quite an oriental flair to it, with the dramatic use of dark colours – a striking contrast to our existing white challah cover!
This is my first effort at a hand appliqued project. My stitching was a little variable, but I enjoyed incorporating some beads for the wicks and around the candlelight. And here is the finished product!
Now, back to the wall hanging…